Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 2: Mockolate vs. Chocolate


Mockolate is defined as a candy product made with cocoa solids and containing no cocoa butter. Legally a product containing no cocoa butter must be me called "chocolate-flavored" not chocolate. Mockolate is typically produced by companies trying to cut costs, since cocoa butter can be extremely expensive. The cocoa solids contribute much of the flavor, while the cocoa butter adds the rich, creamy mouthfeel which people associate with chocolate. So there's your difference. Suprisingly, more candy bars are made of mockolate than you'd think. These include ReeseSticks, Take 5, Almond Joy, Charleston Chews, Sixlets, and even Butterfingers. By the way, did you know that they make more than one type of Take 5? The traditional is made with chocolate & pretzels & caramel & peanuts & peanut butter. But there's one with a peanut butter coating, one with extra caramel, one which a chocolate cookie, and even a marshmallow-based one! Anyway, in my younger days I wasn't a big fan of chocolate. Actually I would've picked sushi or pad thai over it any day. But as it turns out I got my first boyfriend junior year. Let's just say he got me candy a lot! From then on I loved chocolate! Truffles, fudge, chocolate-dipped strawberries, chocolate chip cannolis, you name it. Today I'd say my favorite chocolate candies involve coffee infusions, caramel, or nuts. See's has some of my favorites! Like the mocha truffle, cafe hazlenut truffle, milk caramel patties, scotchmallows, or almond carmels. (If you havn't guessed I'm really hungry and I could really use some chocolate). Chocolate-dipped nuts (cashews are my fav), rolos...uhhh the list goes on and on and on and on!! Oh but my absolute favorite chocolate candies?? Without a doubt chocolate-covered sunflower seeds and peanut butter M&Ms! Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum!!! Yikes I need to stop being so candy-crazy! >_<

No comments:

Post a Comment