Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 2: Yep, I still have stuff to talk about!


I guess this will be a make-up for the future days when I don't have the time to write. First off, I have a question for all my foodies and bloggies. Riddle me this...so I go in my fridge today to get a drink of some lemonade. I have two kinds: Simply lemonade (composed of only lemon juice, natural sugar, and water) and a carton of Minute Maid Pink Lemonade (composed of high fructose corn syrup, artificial dye, and other unappealing ingredients). Answer me this...Why does a lemonade composed of purely natural ingredients contain more calories per 8 fluid ounces than the artificial one?!?! I mean WTF is that about?!?! (Keep in mind that's "what the flip," I don't curse much. My father doesn't approve.) I was under the impression that organic all-natural foods were supposed to be less fattening and contain less calories than those more in-organic combination of substance that in some miraculous way can be turned into edible eats. Keep in mind there is only a ten calorie difference between the two..but still...this is a mystery to me. Anyway, back to what my blog is "supposed" to be about....I guess this discussion will go under the food section. At the moment I am thoroughly enjoying the last summer before I start college. I won a scholarship to the fairly prestigious Tulane University in Mardi Gras capital New Orleans, Lousisane! Woo?? That is where I will be attending college for at least my freshman year. At the time being, I'm relatively skinny but I have a decent build and strong enough to carry three 7-lb bags of ice in one arm. ^_^ (Cause that's what every college guy is looking for in a girl, right? >_>) Well here's my predicament...(and pardon my cursing)...how the hell am I supposed to maintain my relative thin self in the state that currently boasts the 4th highest obesity rate in the country!!! I mean my god!! Then again what am I supposed to expect from a state famous for Po'Boys, Hush Puppies, and Buttermilk Biscuits. (For those of you who don't know a Po'Boy is a sub sandwich containing a fried meat or seafood, mayonnaise, and mustard. Hush Puppies are deep-fried balls of cornmeal batter (because plain ole cornbread isn't bad enough for you). And unless you've never had KFC, just know buttermilk biscuit = bad.) Luckily, I've found that New Orleans is not without the lighter cuisine of Asian countries. Phew! That's not to say that I would be opposed to trying some of the less fried and heart-attack-inducing foods like gumbo, jambalaya, and red beans and rice. Truth be told I don't even know much about those meals either. All I know is gumbo=wet and jambalaya=dry. This inspired me to do some research. Turns out Gumbo is a stew or soup consisting primarily of a strong stock, meat and/or shellfish, a thickener or roux of butter and flour, and vegetables like okra, celery, bell peppers, and onion. Gumbo is traditionally served over rice. On the other hand, Jambalaya is a spicy Creole dish of rice and ham, sausage, chicken, or shellfish with tomatoes, peppers, onions, and celery. Sound pretty similar to me...but I guess I'll figure it out when I get there. I was gonna post a picture or two but it seems that not a single person has been able o take a decent picture of either without it looking like an amalgamation of leftover ingredients. Next subtopic...Mardi Gras Desserts!!! I'm sure you've all hear of King's Cake. (or at least I had) If you aren't familiar allow me to explain. The cakes have a small trinket inside, and the person who gets the piece of cake with the trinket has various privileges and obligations. Simply put these cakes are a ring of twisted bread (similar to that used in brioche) topped with icing or sugar, usually colored purple, green, and gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment